Saturday, September 1, 2012

Between The Folds

So before I start talking about this little documentary, I want to preface this by saying it's actually something I've seen already. I was going through the list of movies my professor gave us and realized I have watched this little gem before, and I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about it.

Between the Folds is a fifty-five minute documentary about the art of origami. I watched it a few years ago around one or two in the morning, so my brain is a little fuzzy on details, but what I do remember is a really amazing look into an art form that everyone knows of, but doesn't necessarily know of the amazing things origami can create.

All you need for origami is a piece of paper. Most experts would scoff if you tried using tape, paper, glue, etc... because if done correctly, the paper will hold it's own shape. Some of the things these artists create is inspirational.































While I have tried my hand at the art form a few times, I can say my talent does not extend to the polar bears and dragons featured in the documentary. Mine doesn't even extend beyond dollar bill rings and jumping frogs and cups you can actually boil in water, but there is something to be said for the inspiration that can come from creating something beautiful from a piece of paper that you have been working with over the course of minutes, hours, and even days.

No comments:

Post a Comment